Nakwakto Rapids & Cultural Tour
Wa’p & Bi’dagwa’nam
This tour is hosted on Gwa'sala Nakwaxda'xw Traditional Territory
Departs from the Seagate Wharf in Port Hardy, which is steps away from the Pier Side Landing Hotel or a 10-minute walk from the Kwa’lilas Hotel. Guests staying in Port Hardy may schedule transportation to the wharf upon booking. *Please note that on some maps this wharf may be labeled as the Government wharf.
Come aboard and witness a truly magnificent natural marvel! The Nakwakto Rapids are the fastest navigable tidal rapids on Earth, reaching speeds on an average of 14knots and even peaking at 17 knots! When the ebb tides occur, millions of gallons of water pass through narrow channels and inlets which cause water levels to surge. At the narrowest point of Seymour Inlet, sits Tremble Island where you will safely view the rapids take form. The untouched wilderness and coast will leave you in amazement as you learn about the Gwa’sala Nakwaxda’xw First Nations history on these waters and the deeply seeded roots of their ancestors. Wildlife such as eagles, bears, coastal wolves, whales, porpoises and otters frequent this region and the tour will include a stop at the local stellar sea lion colony.
This is a one of a kind tour in the Gwa’sala Nakwaxda’xw traditional territory that combines aboriginal tourism, outdoor and wildlife tourism. Departing from Port Hardy, our highly trained crew and interpretive guides will keep you and loved ones comfortable on our passenger covered 28’ aluminum Transport Canada certified vessel.What's Included, Things to Consider & More... Limited Dates Only, Click to View Available Dates
- Boat transportation from and to Port Hardy.
- Snacks and beverages (non-alcoholic).
- Interpretive presentations (provided in English only).
Things to Consider
- Our team searches for the best tidal exchange for our runs. We will only run the Nakwakto Rapids & Cultural Tour on selected dates that will will have an ideal tidal exchange, for maximum enjoyment and with your safety in mind.
- Departure times vary with the tides. Please review the schedule for dates and departures.
- You must inform your guide if you have any medical conditions. This information is important in case of an emergency.
What to Bring
- Warm comfortable clothes (avoid cotton if possible when there is a chance of rain).
- Layer your clothes in case you get warm or the weather clears.
- Note: Cotton is not advised if rain/cold is in the forecast. Layered synthetic materials will keep you much warmer; fleece, polyester, spandex, and nylon blends are ideal. Wool and merino wool products are great too. Always research, plan and prepare for the outdoors.
- Small bag/backpack to keep your belongings.
- Hat & sunglasses (if sunny).
- Rain jacket (if rainy).
- Appropriate footwear for the boat and for the rocky shore.
- Water bottle (with water – all of the tap water in Port Hardy is safe to drink).
Limited Departure Dates and Times
Due to the timing of the tides, the Nakwakto Rapids tour only runs on certain dates each month. *Please call 250-949-6032 to request dates marked as ‘on request only’.
May 2018 Departure Schedule:
- Wednesday, May 16th – 7:00 AM
- Friday, May 18th – 8:20 AM
- Saturday, May 19th – 9:00 AM
- Monday, May 21st – 11:00 AM
- Monday, May 28th – 6:00 AM
- Wednesday, May 30th – 7:15 AM
- Thursday, May 31st – 7:30 AM *on request only
June 2018 Departure Schedule:
- Friday, June 1st – 7:45 AM *on request only
- Saturday, June 2nd – 8:15 AM *on request only
- Monday, June 4th – 9:30 AM *on request only
- Wednesday, June 13th – 6:00 AM
- Friday, June 15th – 7:30 AM
- Saturday, June 16th – 8:00 AM
- Monday, June 18th – 10:00 AM
- Tuesday, June 19th – 9:45 AM
- Wednesday, June 27th – 6:30 AM
- Friday, June 29th – 7:15 AM
- Saturday, June 30th – 7:15 AM
July 2018 Departure Schedule:
- Sunday, July 1st – 8:00 AM
- Monday, July 2nd – 8:30 AM
- Tuesday, July 3rd – 9:00 AM
- Thursday, July 12th – 6:00 AM
- Saturday, July 14th – 7:30 AM
- Monday, July 16th – 8:45 AM
- Tuesday July 17th – 9:45 AM
- Friday, July 27th – 6:45 AM
- Sunday, July 29th – 7:00 AM
- Monday, July 30th – 7:30 AM
August 2018 Departure Schedule:
- Wednesday, August 1st – 8:30 AM
- Thursday, August 2nd – 9:30 AM
- Saturday, August 11th – 6:30 AM
- Sunday, August 12th – 7:00 AM
- Monday, August 13th – 7:45 AM
- Tuesday, August 14th – 8:30 AM
- Saturday, August 25th – 6:15 AM
- Sunday, August 26th – 6:30 AM
- Tuesday, August 28th – 7:00 AM
- Thursday, August 30th – 8:30 AM
September 2018 Departure Schedule:
- Sunday, September 9th – 6:15 AM
- Monday, September 10th – 7:45 AM
- Tuesday, September 11th – 7:30 AM